LSU received a commitment from Notre Dame edge rusher Junior Tuihalamaka. The 23-year-old was one of the class of 2022 players who received a fifth year of eligibility from a temporary restraining order granted by a Baton Rouge judge. He started three games for the Irish each of the last two seasons and recorded four total sacks, 61 tackles and nine tackles for loss in 28 games.
He joins an edge room featuring Ole Miss transfer Princewill Umanmielen, Tennessee transfer Jordan Ross and five-star freshman Lamar Brown. Coach Lane Kiffin says Umanmielen has been impressive during camp so far.
Umanmielen had nine sacks as a Rebel last season.
Class of 2022 college athletes who are looking to return for a fifth season are now ineligible thanks to the NCAA’s stay request approved by the U.S. 10th Circuit Court of Appeals. Any athletes included in individual injunctions or temporary restraining orders like the one granted in Baton Rouge on Wednesday are still eligible, but all other players will have to wait on further hearings.
Louisiana Tech’s touchdown leader from a season ago, running back Andrew Burnette, was one of the players included in the order, and he has returned to practice with the Bulldogs. Head coach Sonny Cumbie says he’s glad to have him back.
Cut 21 (11) “…to be here.”
Burnnette and the other plaintiffs, including LSU commit Junior Tuihalamaka and former Tiger Jack Pyburn, are awaiting an August 31 hearing to decide if their eligibility will become permanent. Pyburn’s path back to college football may be more difficult than Burnette and Tuihalamaka’s because he, like many others in the case, already signed an NFL contract.