06:30 LRN Newscast August 22nd

Disaster food stamps will be available in eight parishes starting today and then four more parishes starting next Monday. Governor John Bel Edwards…
cut 15 (10) “…are eligible”
To register for disaster food stamps and to find out when and where they are available go to d-c-f-s-dot-la-dot-gov-backslash-pre-register or call 1-888-L-A-HELP-U.

Governor John Bel Edwards says Republican Presidential candidate Donald Trump’s trip to flood-damaged areas last week was positive, because it brought attention nationally that Louisiana is suffering from deadly flooding. Edwards says Trump also made a 100-thousand dollar donation to a church in East Baton Rouge Parish.

The Livingston Parish Sheriff’s office says a 30-year-old mother allegedly slashed the throat of her eight-year-old child. The girl was pronounced dead at the scene and the mother, Christine Courtney, was taken to the hospital for self-inflicted stab wounds. Sheriff Jason Ard says it does not appear that this incident is tied to the historic flooding. Courtney is facing a charge of first degree murder.

The city of Walker is suing the state for I-12 construction that’s believed to have worsened the flooding. Halen Doughty has more…
voicer 2 (30) “….I’m Halen Doughty”

A State Troooper was shot in the elbow and a suspect was fatally shot in New Orleans seventh ward on Sunday. Shots rang out after a traffic stop and two other suspects fled the scene.

10:30 LRN Newscast August 20th

The total value of all the homes lost in the flood in the Baton Rouge area could be up to $21 billion. That’s according to the Baton Rouge Area Chamber’s preliminary analysis of flood damage, which estimates 31% of homes in the 9 parish region are in flooded areas. BRAC CEO Adam Knapp says the preliminary data demonstrates just how devastating this flood is….
cut 14 (08) “…community standpoint”
The analysis also found 87-percent of homes in Livingston parish are in areas that flooded.

The governor’s office says 102-thousand people have registered with FEMA for disaster assistance. And FEMA has provided 30-million dollars in aid for homeowners who suffered flood damage. Governor Edwards says FEMA has agreed to pay for hotel rooms for those storm victims who are living in their cars, hotels, their workplace or shelters.

Frustrations are growing in Walker in Livingston Parish over the lack of federal resources to help those affected by the historic flooding. Mayor Rick Ramsey says they’ve been told by FEMA that no temporary housing will be brought in for residents. He says FEMA will try to expedite disaster payments to victims, but that isn’t enough…
cut 12 (12) “elevation”
Ramsey says his most recent update states there is no intention of bringing in FEMA trailers or providing temporary housing.
Republican Presidential candidate Donald Trump met with flood victims and local officials in both East Baton Rouge and Ascension Parishes Friday. Lt. Governor Billy Nungesser was with Trump and Nungesser hopes Trump’s visit can help raise awareness around the nation that many are suffering…
cut 11 (08) “…whole again”
President Barack Obama plans to visit Baton Rouge on Tuesday.

09:30 LRN Newscast August 20th

The Department of Children and Family Services announces they will begin distributing disaster food stamp cards in eight parishes on Monday. Those parishes are East Feliciana, Iberia, Livingston, Pointe Coupee, St. Helena, St. Landry, Tangipahoa and Vermilion. State officials are advising residents to pre-register at D-C-F-S-dot-la-dot-gov-slash-preregister.

The Baton Rouge Area Chamber’s preliminary analysis of flood damage estimates the total value of all the homes lost in the flood in the Baton Rouge area could be around $21 billion. BRAC President Adam Knapp hopes this shocking total will persuade federal officials to give Louisiana more financial support. He says more donations are also needed….
cut 16 (07) “to recover”
The report estimates 31% of homes in the Baton Rouge area are in flooded locations.

There are several locations now open in East Baton Rouge and Livingston parishes providing food and water to flood victims. This individual from Denham Springs is taking advantage of this free service. He says he left his flooded home with just a few items…
cut 7 (10) “…made it”

The recovery process will be a long one. Don Molino has more from the top official at the Red Cross…
voicer 1 (29) “…I’m Don Molino”

08:30 LRN Newscast August 20th

The Baton Rouge Area Chamber releases a report that shows 110-thousand homes are located in the flooded areas in a nine-parish area around the Capital City. BRAC CEO Adam Knapp says about 48-thousand residences in Livingston Parish were potentially ruined and many of them are without flood insurance…
cut 15 (06) “…entire parish”
Knapp says he hopes these shocking finds will persuade the federal government to give Louisiana more financial support.

Republican Presidential candidate Donald Trump is sure amazed at the scope of the damage. Here’s what he said after touring East Baton Rouge and Ascension Parishes yesterday…
cut 9 (10) “…here to help”
President Barack Obama will be in Baton Rouge on Tuesday.

There is frustation in Livingston parish over the response by the federal government. Walker Mayor Rick Ramsey says FEMA can do more to help flood victims who lost their homes…
cut 13 (11) “….at night”
Ramsey says he’s been told by FEMA there’s no plans to bring in travel trailers for flood victims to live in. Governor Edwards says FEMA will pay for hotel rooms on a rolling 30 day basis for those who can’t return to their home just yet.

As the state transitions into recovery, more volunteers and resources will be needed. Red Cross CEO Gail McGovern says if anyone wants to volunteer or donate to the Red Cross, they can go to RedCross.org. She says their work is far from over.
CUT 5 (09) “and snacks”

18:30 LRN Newscast Aug 19

The White House announces President Obama will visit Louisiana on Tuesday to assess the damage from the Great Flood of 2016. The President came under fire for not cutting his New England vacation short to see the devastation first hand.

Water and food distribution centers have been set up in Livingston Parish for victims of the historic flooding. Emelie Gunn has more…

CUT 2 (31)  “I’m Emelie Gunn”

The Baton Rouge Area Chamber’s preliminary analysis of flood damage in Louisiana estimates the total value of all the homes lost in the flood in the Baton Rouge area could be up to $21 billion. President and CEO Adam Knapp says he hopes these shocking findings will be enough to persuade federal officials to give Louisiana more financial support. He says it could even motivate more citizens to do what they can to help.

cut 16 (07) “to recover”

The report estimates 31% of homes in the Baton Rouge area are in flooded locations.

As the state transitions into recovery from the 1,000-year flood, resources and volunteers are more important than ever. Red Cross CEO Gail McGovern says this is the worst natural disaster they have seen in years.

CUT 3 (10)  “Superstorm Sandy”

17:30 LRN Newscast Aug 19

South Louisiana parishes that were underwater just a week ago are starting to transition into recovery, but there’s still a long road ahead. Don Molino has more on recovery efforts…

CUT 1 (29) “I’m Don Molino”

Governor Edwards says FEMA will pay for hotel rooms for 30-days for flood victims who are staying in cars, hotels, shelters, or their workplace, but not those staying with friends and family. FEMA will reportedly contact people based on information they provided when they applied for federal aid.

The total value of all the homes lost in the flood in the Baton Rouge area could be up to $21 billion. That’s according to the Baton Rouge Area Chamber’s preliminary analysis of flood damage in Louisiana, which estimates 31% of homes in the 9 parish Baton Rouge area are in flooded areas. President and CEO Adam Knapp says the preliminary data demonstrates just how devastating this flood is.

cut 14 (08)  “community standpoint”

Knapp says he hopes these shocking findings will be enough to persuade federal officials to give Louisiana more financial support.

The National Guard is distributing water, MREs and other necessary supplies for the flood victims. Sgt. First Class Travis Jenkins says this effort it to make sure people affected can get through to the next phase of their recovery. He says all the Guardsmen are happy to help those in need.

CUT 8 (10) “the area” 

16:30 LRN Newscast August 19th

Governor John Bel Edwards held a press conference this afternoon to announce that disaster food stamp locations in eight parishes will open on Monday. To pre-register for disaster food stamps, visit the department of children and family services website.

Also, the governor announced that FEMA is offering 30-day hotel stays for people who are living in their car, a hotel or shelter. Edwards says they plan to have four-thousand people in state-run shelters tonight.

President Obama will visit Baton Rouge on Tuesday to get a first hand look at flood response efforts. Today, republican presidential candidate Donald Trump was in East Baton Rouge and Ascension Parishes. Trump is amazed at the level of destruction…
cut 9 (10) “….here to help”

The total value of all the homes lost in the flood in the Baton Rouge area could be up to $21 billion. That’s according to the Baton Rouge Area Chamber’s preliminary analysis of flood damage, which estimates 31% of homes in the 9 parish region are in flooded areas. BRAC CEO Adam Knapp says the preliminary data demonstrates just how devastating this flood is….
cut 14 (08) “…community standpoint”
The analysis also found that 87-percent of homes in Livingston parish are in areas that flooded.

Three water and food distribution centers opened today in Livingston Parish. We spoke to an individual, who said he left his home when the water reached his chest and he could only bring a few items with him…
cut 7 (10) “….made it”

15:30 LRN Newscast August 19th

The White House announces President Barack Obama will be in Baton Rouge on Tuesday to get a first-hand look at the impact of the devasting floods and also hear from local officials about the response. The President has faced criticism for not ending his vacation early to view the flood damage. The White House says the President has been receiving updates while vacationing in Martha’s Vineyard.

Republican Presidential candidate Donald Trump met with flood victims and local officials in both East Baton Rouge and Ascension Parishes today. Lt. Governor Billy Nungesser was with Trump and Nungesser hopes Trump’s visit can help raise awareness around the nation that many are suffering…
cut 11 (08) “…whole again”
Meanwhile, Governor John Bel Edwards is holding a news conference this afternoon to discuss food stamps and temporary housing for flood victims.

Water and food distribution centers opened in Livingston Parish. Members of Louisiana’s National Guard are there to pass out water bottles, MREs and other supplies. Sgt First Class Travis Jenkins says the Guard is happy to help those in need…
cut 8 (10) “….the area”
But there is frustation in Livingston parish over the response by the federal government. Walker Mayor Rick Ramsey says FEMA can do more to help flood victims who lost their homes…
cut 13 (11) “….at night”
Ramsey says he’s been told by FEMA there’s no plans to bring in travel trailers for flood victims to live in.

New Orleans officials are rejoicing today. They’ve learned the NBA will hold its All-Star game in the Big Easy this February.

14:30 LRN Newscast Aug 19

Flood victims are at Bass Pro Shop today in Denham Springs to receive water and food, and meet with FEMA representatives to apply for disaster assistance. Terry is a Denham Springs resident whose home was flooded during the storm. He says he lost two trailers and a truck but is lucky he can stay with his daughter….

CUT 6 (12) “shower, sleep”

Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump is touring flooded areas in Louisiana today. Trump took pictures with relief workers and offered his support to flood victims who lost their homes and personal belongings. Most of the people who came in contact with Trump were glad he came…

cut 10 (12)  “your support”

Frustrations are growing in Walker in Livingston Parish over the lack of federal resources to help those affected by the historic flooding. Mayor Rick Ramsey says they’ve been told by FEMA that no temporary housing will be brought in for residents. He says FEMA will try to expedite some reimbursement but that isn’t enough…

cut 12 (12) “elevation”

Ramsey says his most recent update states there is no intention of bringing in FEMA trailers or providing temporary housing.

As the state transitions into recovery, more volunteers and resources will be needed. Red Cross CEO Gail McGovern says if anyone wants to volunteer or donate to the Red Cross, they can go to RedCross.org. She says their work is far from over.

CUT 5 (09)  “and snacks”

13:30 LRN Newscast august 19th

American Red Cross president and CEO Gail McGovern calls the flooding in south Louisiana the worst disaster to hit the United States since Hurricane Sandy in 2012. She says they will be here as long as it takes for this community to recover….
cut 4 (11) “…relief items”
McGovern anticipates Red Cross will need 30-million dollars to provide relief efforts.

Republican Presidential candidate Donald Trump, along with running mate Mike Pence, have been touring the flood damage in East Baton Rouge and Ascension Parishes today. Trump is amazed at the level of destruction the floods left behind…
cut 9 (10) “…here to help”
Trump took pictures with relief workers and offered his support to flood victims who lost their homes and personal belongings.

Water and food distribution centers have been set up in Livingston Parish for the victims of the historic flooding. Emelie Gunn has more…
voicer 2 (31) “…I’m Emelie Gunn”

The Baton Rouge Area Chamber says based on their analysis 110-thousand homes in a nine-parish area have been impacted by the flooding and the damage estimate to those homes is near 21-billion dollars. The report says Livingston Parish suffered the most damage, estimating 87-percent of the homes were damaged by rising water, but only 22-percent of the homes are covered by flood insurance.