12:30 LRN Newscast

The F-B-I now says the man who drove a rented pickup truck at a high rate of speed down Bourbon Street killing at least 14 others, acted alone and they no longer believe others were involved in the New Orleans terrorist attack. FBI Deputy Assistant Director of Counter Terrorism Christopher Raia says that 42-year-old Shamsud-Din Jabbar drove from Houston to New Orleans on Monday posting five videos to his Facebook account during this time.

Cut 6 (14) “…end quote.”

Raia says Jabbar also said in one of the videos he was a member of ISIS and joined the terrorist organization just before summer.

Meanwhile, New Orleans is preparing to host a college football playoff game this afternoon and New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell says Bourbon Street will reopen at 2:30 PM…

Cut 17 (17) “…every single turn”

Nine of the 15 people killed in the New Year’s Day morning terrorist attack on Bourbon Street have been identified. One of them graduated high school last May and his name is Kareem Badawi. The Baton Rouge native attended Episcopal High School and his high school football coach Travis Bourgeois says he watched Badawi grow up and become a man. He says he was a man of integrity on and off the football field

Cut 15 (10) “….right thing”

Lafayette native Tiger Bech also died in the terrorist attack.

President Joe Biden says he’s praying for the victims’ families and the city of New Orleans…

Cut 4 (16) “…shine forth”

11:30 LRN Newscast

Federal investigators are now saying the terrorist attack in the New Orleans French Quarter was not a coordinated event. FBI Deputy Assistant Director of Counter Terrorism Christopher Raia says 42-year-old Shamsud-Din Jabbar acted alone when he drove at a high rate of speed on Bourbon Street…

Cut 5 (12) “….briefed on”

Jabbar killed 14 people, many of those were young adults, including Lafayette native Tiger Bech. Bech was a 2015 graduate at St. Thomas More, where he played three sports and STM principal Marty Cannon says Bech recently visited the school…

Cut 13 (15) “…to see him”

Bech was 28-years-old, his younger brother, Jack Bech is preparing for the NFL draft after standout season at TCU.

In the aftermath of the tourist attack on Bourbon Street, New Orleans officials admit the terrorist defeated their French Quarter safety plan. Protective ballards were not up because they are under repair, so New Orleans Police Chief Anne Kirkpatrick says they had a police vehicle parked to block Bourbon Street at the intersection of Bourbon and Canal…

Cut 9 (15) “….still got around”

Could this tragedy result in Bourbon Street becoming a permanent pedestrian mall? New Orleans City councilman J-P Morrell says whatever security measures had been in place to protect those in the French Quarter were ineffective.

Cut 11 (16) “…accessible to vehicles (2x).”

10:30 LRN Newscast

At this hour, federal, state and local officials are providing an update on the investigation into the New Year’s Day morning terrorist attack on Bourbon Street that killed at least 15 people and left more than 30 injured. The FBI says 42-year-old Shamsud-Din Jabbar drove at a high rate of speed, killing innocent people who were celebrating the New Year’s holiday.

Authorities believe Jabbar did not act alone. New Orleans Congressman Troy Carter has a message for Jabbar’s accomplices…

Cut 16 (10) “….you to justice

Bourbon Street is still closed. They will play a college football playoff game a mile and a half away in the Superdome as Notre Dame will face Georgia. Governor Landry will be there…

Cut 6 (15) “….it was yesterday”

Kick off is at 3 PM.

The City of New Orleans had a plan to keep revelers on Bourbon Street safe. The city is admitting defeat. Andrew Greenstein reports.

Cut 2 (35) “…I’m Andrew Greenstein.”

We are starting to learn about the people killed in yesterday’s terrorist attack in New Orleans. Two of the victims are from Mississippi, two from Baton Rouge, two from the New Orleans area, Nicole Perez and Hubert Gauthreaux, a recent graduate of Archbishop Shaw. Former St. Thomas More football star Tiger Bech also died after the terrorist’s truck hit him.

9:30 LRN Newscast

At ten o’ clock this morning, authorities will provide an update into the investigation on yesterday morning’s terrorist attack on Bourbon Street that killed at least 15 people and injured more than 30. New Orleans Congressman Troy Carter…

Cut 15 (11) “….cowards to justice”

The terror suspect has been identified by the FBI as 42-year-old Shamsud-Din Jabbar, who drove around a large police cruiser and over a sidewalk to go on a killing spree on Bourbon Street in the early morning hours of New Year’s Day.

The tragedy will reignite talk about turning Bourbon street into a permanent pedestrian mall. New Orleans Councilman J.P. Morrell says conversation has taken place for years…

Cut 10 (12) “…the French Quarter.”

Governor Jeff Landry was on Bourbon Street this morning along with other officials, viewing the scene of what goes down as the first terror attack on New Orleans. Later today, Landry will be in the Superdome for the Sugar Bowl, which was postponed to this afternoon…

Cut 5 (12) “…to me”

Landry has issued a state of emergency in response that he says will help utilize all available resources to keep the city safe.

One of the victims of the terrorist attack on Bourbon Street is Lafayette native and former St. Thomas More football star Tiger Bech. The 2015 graduate of S-T-M also played lacrosse and competed on the track and field team. He went on to play football at Princeton and was working in New York City. STM Principal Marty Cannon coached Bech…

Cut 12 (12) “….really special”

8:30 LRN Newscast

In light of the terror attack on Bourbon Street early yesterday morning, Governor Landry issued an emergency declaration.

Cut 1 (32) “…I’m Andrew Greenstein.”

The FBI is trying to determine if more than one person was behind this attack. U-S Senator John Kennedy has asked the federal government to put their full force behind this investigation…

Cut 14 (17) “…stole Christmas”

President Joe Biden says the FBI is working non-stop, investigating the New Year’s Day terrorist attack on Bourbon Street. Biden says the man who carried out the attack is 42-year-old Shamsud-Din Jabbar, a Texas resident who served in the United States Army and served in the Army Reserve until a few years ago….

Cut 3 (12) “..desire to kill”

The President says an ISIS flag was found in his rented vehicle.

Bourbon Street is still closed as the investigation continues, but what will it look like in the future? Will one of the most famous streets in the world be permanently closed to vehicular traffic. New Orleans City Councilman J-P Morrell believes it should…

Cut 12 (12) “…of that list”

7:30 LRN Newscast

The state is in mourning today following yesterday’s terrorist attack on Bourbon Street that killed 15 people and injured more than 30. U-S Senator John Kennedy called the attack carried out by 42 year-old US Army veteran Shamsud-Din Jabbar…objective evil…

Cut 13 (07) “…going to ask”

Bourbon Street is still closed and authorities are asking the public to stay away from the area. Meanwhile, they will play a college football playoff game a mile and a half away in the Superdome as Notre Dame will face Georgia. Governor Jeff Landry promises the Dome will be safe and he’ll be at the game…

Cut 6 (15) “….it was yesterday”

Kick off is at 3 PM.

Several years ago, bollards were installed at every intersection along Bourbon Street. But early yesterday morning, they were missing at the time that Shamsud-Din Jabbar drove onto the street and plowed into the crowd. New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell says shortly after the bollards were installed, Mardi Gras beads and other impediments caused the bollards to malfunction

Cut 7 (09) “…intended to do.”

Work began on a new bollard system in November and the project is expected to be complete in a month.

Could this tragedy result in Bourbon Street becoming a permanent pedestrian mall. New Orleans City councilman J-P Morrell says whatever security measures had been in place to protect the people visiting the French Quarter have been proven to be ineffective.

Cut 11 (16) “…accessible to vehicles (2x).”

6:30 LRN Newscast

It’s a day after the first terrorist attack on the city of New Orleans and a somber mood hangs over the city and the state of Louisiana. 15 people were killed, including 42-year-old Shamsud-Din Jabbar, who pushed his foot on the gas as he drove his pickup truck down a crowded Bourbon Street early New Year’s Day morning.

Governor Jeff Landry has issued an emergency declaration. Landry says as part of his declaration, he’s ordered the mobilization of a military police company.

Cut 4 (11) “…and the FBI.”

The FBI does not believe Jabbar worked alone. New Orleans Congressman Troy Carter has a message for Jabbar’s accomplices…

Cut 16 (10) “….you to justice”

President Biden says Jabbar, who is an Army veteran, posted ISIS inspired videos before carrying out the attack.

In light of the terror attack on Bourbon Street, talk will undoubtedly ramp up on turning it into a permanent pedestrian mall.

Cut 3 (30) “…I’m Colleen Crain.”

We are learning more about the people killed. Twenty-seven-year-old Nicole Perez from Metairie was a manager at a deli. At least two people from Baton Rouge died, 37-year-old Reggie Hunter, a father of two, and Kareem Badwai, who graduated from Episcopal High School last spring. Former St. Thomas More football star Tiger Beche also died after he was hit by the terror suspect’s truck.

4:30 PM Newscast Jan 1

Cut 5 (04) “…terrorist attack.”

New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell says the FBI has taken the lead in the investigation into the terrorist attack on Bourbon Street early this morning as a pickup truck driven by the terrorist intentionally plowed down a crowd of people leaving 10 confirmed dead and over 30 with critical to serious injuries. Police Superintendent Ann Kirkpatrick

Cut 2 (04) “…that he did.”

The FBI has identified the alleged terrorist as 42-year-old Shamsud-Din Jabbar, a U.S. citizen from Texas who was driving a rented truck. Assistant Special Agent in Charge Alethea Duncan FBI says he was intent on killing as many people as possible before police neutralized him.

Cut 8 (11) “…with terrorist organizations.”

She says weapons and potential IEDs were found in his vehicle and in other French Quarter locations. They do not believe he was working alone.

Among those injured in this morning’s terrorist attack in New Orleans are a Baton Rouge father of two, who is among the ten people dead. A University of Georgia student is among the critically injured. St. Thomas More Athletics Director Kim Broussard has confirmed that former STM football player Tiger Beche is one of the individuals killed in the terrorist attack. Tiger is the older brother of former LSU receiver Jack Beche, who played at LSU in 2021 and 2022.

Authorities have made the decision to postpone the Sugar Bowl in order to keep fans and residents safe. The FBI is asking anyone with information or video of the incident to submit them to www.fbi.gov/bourbonstreetattack or call 1-800-CALL-FBI.

In Lafayette State Police are investigating an overnight officer-involved shooting. Two groups of people exchanged gunfire and a officer discharged a firearm in response. Several people are hospitalized; no officers were hurt. State Police say this is an active investigation.

LRN PM Newscall January 1

Tragedy in New Orleans as a man plows through a crowd on Bourbon Street with his pickup truck, killing at least 15 people and injuring 35 others. It happened shortly after three this morning; the man turned onto Bourbon Street from Canal Street; the area is always bustling with people. Police Superintendent Ann Kirkpatrick says this was an intentional act.

Cut 1 (16) “…he possibly could.”

The FBI has identified the man as 42-year-old Shamsud-Din Jabbar, and they say he’s a U.S. citizen from Texas. They say the Ford pickup truck he was driving had been rented. Jabbar reportedly had an ISIS flag inside the truck. The FBI did not make any mention of that in its release, but it did say weapons and a potential improvised explosive device were found in the truck. Other potential IEDs were also found in the French Quarter. Kirkpatrick says Jabbar was intent on killing as many people as possible.

Cut 2 (11) “…that he did.”

Kirkpatrick says Jabbar exchanged gunfire with officers.

Cut 3 (12) “…they are stable.”

Bourbon Street attracts tourists all 365 days a year; even more so right now, with Georgia and Notre Dame getting set to play in the Sugar Bowl tonight. Police Superintendent Ann Kirkpatrick says given the fact that this happened after three o’clock this morning, many tourists had likely left the area.

Cut 4 (14) “…locals versus tourists.”

______________________________________

New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell spoke at a news conference early this morning in the immediate aftermath of the incident on Bourbon Street.

Cut 5 (07) “…still under investigation.”

Mayor Cantrell says her heart goes out to everyone affected by what happened on Bourbon Street.

Cut 6 (09) “…to this tragedy.”

______________________________________

FBI Assistant Special Agent in Charge Alethea Duncan says the driver was intent on killing as many people as possible before police stopped him.

Cut 7 (09) “…at the scene.”

Duncan says investigators have identified the man as 42-year-old Shamsud-Din Jabbar, a U.S. citizen from Texas.

Cut 8 (11) “…with terrorist organizations.”

Duncan says agents found weapons inside Jabbar’s pickup truck, and that’s not all.

Cut 9 (09)  “…the French Quarter.”

Duncan says agents are looking for additional suspects.

Cut 10 (07) “…his known associates.”

__________________________________________________________

Governor Jeff Landry has issued a state of emergency in response to the terrorist attack on Bourbon Street in New Orleans. Landry says this will allow for utilizing all available state resources ahead of Super Bowl 59 and Mardi Gras. Landry says his administration is committed to providing every resource necessary to keep everyone who visits and lives in the state safe…

Cut 11 (12) “…is safe.”

__________________________________________________________

A Baton Rouge father of two is among the ten people dead. A University of Georgia student is among the critically injured.

St. Thomas More Athletics Director Kim Broussard has confirmed that former STM football player Tiger Bech is one of the individuals killed in the terrorist attack. Bech played college football at Princeton and his younger brother played at LSU and starred at TCU this season. Tiger Bech was just 28.

Louisiana Attorney General Liz Murrill….

Cut 12 (19) “…our breath sometimes.”

3:30 PM Newscast Jan 1

As the country morns the tragic terrorist attack on the City of New Orleans this morning, FBI Assistant Special Agent Alethea Duncan says the driver was intent on killing as many people as possible before police stopped him.

Cut 7 (09) “…at the scene.”

Duncan says investigators have identified the man as 42-year-old Samshud-Din Jabbar, a U.S. citizen from Texas who was driving a rented pickup truck where an ISIS flag was found among other things.

Cut 9 (09)  “…the French Quarter.”

Duncan says agents are looking for additional suspects.

Because of the terrorist attack, the Sugar Bowl has been postponed. Governor Jeff Landry has issued a state of emergency in response to the attack. Landry says his administration is committed to providing every resource necessary to keep everyone who visits and lives in the state safe…

Cut 11 (07) “…in this city.”

A Baton Rouge father of two is among the ten people confirmed dead. A University of Georgia student is among the critically injured.

And St. Thomas More Athletics Director Kim Broussard has confirmed that former STM football player Tiger Bech is one of the individuals killed. Bech played college football at Princeton and his younger brother played at LSU and starred at TCU this season.

Louisiana Attorney General Liz Murrill….

Cut 12 (19) “…our breath sometimes.”